When it comes to gardening, hydroponic gardening allows for more control over a plant’s environment and can yield a higher ratio in your production. In hydroponic gardening, this is thanks to being able to control many variables within the growing process. A particularly important factor in hydroponic gardening is humidity, which should be carefully observed when growing plants at all stages.
Humidity is the measure of water vapor in the air and can be easily measured with a Hygrometer. According to our friend Wikipedia, a Hygrometer is an instrument used to measure the amount of water vapor in the air, soil, or confined spaces.
In diy hydroponic gardening, the water does the work delivering nutrients to the plants’ roots. Humidity is important because water vapor can assist hydroponic plants in their growth process, enabling lush produce to flourish with the extra added moisture.
Best Humidifier for Plants
| GENIANI Top Fill Humidifier||4L||Check Price||4.6/5|
| Hupro Humidifier with Humidistat||5.5L||Check Price||4.7/5|
| MOVTIP Portable Mini Humidifier||.5L||Check Price||4.1/5|
| LEVOIT Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier||4L||Check Price||4.5/5|
| Pure Enrichment MistAire Humidifier||1.5L||Check Price||4.5/5|
A study at the University of Georgia found relative humidity to be one of the key factors in growing plants indoors. They also recommend the use of a humidifier with indoor plants.
When to use a humidifier varies based on the type of plants you are growing, the environment they are grown in, and what stage of the growing process your plants are in.
Each crop requires varying levels of humidity. Humidity is also important because it affects the taste and quality of your produce.
During germination, the seedlings need a delicate balance of humidity so as not to oversaturate them, but enough to stimulate new growth. If hydroponic plants are not given proper balance of humidity during this stage, the seedlings may not be able to even break the soil.
The flowering period is when I use my humidifier most, making sure to keep the air moist for the plants. Plants hate low moisture during the flowering stage, and it can cause the plant to wither if enough moisture is not provided.
If the area where your plants are growing has a tough time staying warm, consider a warm-mist humidifier. They simply work by heating water to a high temperature causing it to turn into water vapor to be dispersed into the environment. However, if the area is sunny and hot, a cool-mist humidifier may be just what your plants require. Ultrasonic humidifiers use vibration technology to increase the evaporation rate of the water in the humidifier. The quality of the mist from an Ultrasonic humidifier is quite fine.
Below, we will discuss the best humidifiers for hydroponic gardening. Factors that affected a humidifier’s favorability include tank size, technology, mist duration, and noise level.
 GENIANI Top Fill Cool Mist Humidifiers
- 2-1 Humidifier and Diffuser, option to use for your plants or to enjoy essential oils.
- 4 L Water Tank with a top fill, making pouring water into a humidifier easier.
- Easy clean by removing the lid and wiping the empty tank with a cloth.
- Ultra-quiet noise level of 38dB.
- Smart Mode keeps a balanced humidity automatically with a built-in sensor.
- Allows for manually adjusting the moisture speed by choosing the setting.
- 2-year warranty on humidifier
Growers love this humidifier due to its sleek look and smart sensors that allow you to manually adjust the moisturizing speed through three settings: low, medium, or high. If you are an essential oil enthusiast, this humidifier is a winner for its versatility.
Geniana makes the best plant humidifiers because of the great quality and great value. We also like that you can hold down the power button if you want to turn the lights off. It’s the sleekest looking and the best from a functional perspective as well.
 Hupro Humidifier for Bedroom Premium Quality 5.5L Tank Capacity for Large Room Warm Mist & Cool Humidifier with Humidistat
- 5.5 L water tank can last up to 40 hours.
- Smart humidification system includes humidity controls such as auto mode, constant ideal humidity level, and 3-speed options.
- Both cool mist and warm mist are available for your hydroponic growing needs.
- 100% safe air purification system with triple purification: Air ionization, ceramic filter, and aroma box.
- Ultra-quiet at <30dB, perfect for those who sleep near grow room.
- Leakproof, easy-clean design.
This wins out as one of the best humidifiers for hydroponic growing because of the large water tank capacity (5.5L!) and warm mist/cool mist function. This humidifier runs for up to 40 hours at 1 refill. The Smart humidification system includes humidity controls, which is essential for all hydroponic gardeners needing to control the environment of their plants with great attention to detail.
This model also has a triple purification system, keeping the air for your plants fresh. The humidifier removes dust, pollen, smoke, and other allergens that can inhibit the growth of plants, providing a germ free cool mist.
 Portable Mini Humidifier, 500ml Small Cool Mist Humidifier
- Portable and easily transported with its small design, so you can take it from your grow room to your office effortlessly.
- 500mL water tank capacity gives about 12 hours of continuous spray. Intermittent spray available over 18 hours.
- One button control USB humidifier: simply press one button to turn on the mist.
- Safe and Auto Shut-Off, ensuring safety when the water is lower than the safe water level the humidifier will automatically turn off the power.
Favorite features of this humidifier among the hydroponic growers include the portability of this USB humidifier. Users rave of the length of use for the small tank- around 12 hours- and the perfect amount of fine mist sprayed for their hydroponic garden.
 LEVOIT Humidifiers for Bedroom, 4L Humidifier
- Levoit Advanced Ultrasonic technology atomizes water turning it into a fine mist, making it easier for plants to absorb the water vapor.
- 4L capacity water tank with up to 40 hours of continuous use at a low setting, and 10 hours at a high setting.
- Easy to clean & refill with large opening; simply wipe down the interior of the humidifier.
- Option to use for aromatherapy and essential oils when not using humidifiers on plants.
- Safety first: humidifier automatically shuts off when it runs out of water. Also, BPA free.
- Quiet at <30dB with a patented silencer and DC hydraulic fan.
- Adjustable 360° nozzle and 3-speed mist settings.
The large capacity of this humidifier’s water tank allows for up to 40 hours of use on the low setting and 10 hours of use on the high setting. It has a cool-mist humidifier perfect for plants in a sunny environment. It boasts a 360° nozzle and 3 mist speed settings so you can create the perfect environment for your hydroponic plants.
Another unique feature of this humidifier is the ultrasonic technology, which claims to atomize water turning it into a fine mist spread through the independent air duct. By putting safety first, this humidifier has installed an automatic shut off and let’s not forget it’s BPA-free. This humidifier also multi-tasks for essential oil use.
 Pure Enrichment MistAire – Premium Humidifying Unit
- Ultrasonic cool mist technology
- 1.5L Water tank allows for up to 16 hours of continuous usage.
- High and low settings to easily adjust for the needs of your hydroponic garden.
- Night light for checking on your plants at night
- Automatic shut-off when the water level is low.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty.
The Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier has up to 16 hours of run time, so there is no need to worry about checking on your hydroponic plants wondering if they are getting proper humidity. Users also liked the 360° Mist Nozzle, which gives control over the direction of the mist in the company of plants. The night light is a nice added feature to help guide you during your plant’s nightly check ins, and the automatic shut off is a user-favorite feature. The 5-year warranty is a nice bonus.
Can I use a regular humidifier for my plants?
Absolutely! What is good for us is good for our plants too! Today, there are many humidifiers to choose from that offer various technologies to meet your humidity needs for hydroponic gardening and personal use. A regular humidifier can also be a humidifier for plants.
Where should I place my humidifier for my plants?
In the same room as the plant, naturally, but a good standard is between 4-8 feet away. Too far and plants will not be able to absorb the moisture as efficiently. Some space gives the plant breathing room to absorb the moisture without becoming drenched. You want the humidifier to have room to disperse its goodness throughout the area your plants are in, and in close enough proximity so your plants get everything they need.
If you sleep close to your grow room, consider the noise level of the humidifier as some can be quite noisy, but the most top-of-the-line humidifiers have ultra-quiet technologies. Problem solved.
How often should you use a humidifier on your plants?
Like humans, plants have evolved, and some need more humidity than others to truly shine. Some plants rely on moisture from the environment to grow, and your natural habitat may not be favorable for your plants. This is when humidity may need to be added. If your grow environment is constantly sunny, consider using a humidifier for plants as well.
Turning your humidifier on in the morning and allowing it to run until the early afternoon ensures enough moisture to build up and last throughout the rest of the day, without oversaturating the plants. A good rule of thumb is to only use the humidifier when its sunny, as that is when plants are primed to absorb nutrients. Plants have a circadian rhythm like humans and go dormant at night: They will not absorb the moisture from a humidifier at night and will end up soggy.
Do I Really Need To Use a Humidifier on Indoor Plants?
Yes! In a study by the University of Vermont, it was found that houseplants do well at a relative humidity of 70 to 80 percent, which is often difficult to attain and maintain in the home grow environment. Adding a humidifier can remedy this imbalance and creates harmony in the home and for the plants. We hope that our comprehensive list will help you in choosing the best humidifier for plants. Feel free to browse the site for tips and more product recommendations.