An aquaponic system utilizes fish waste to grow plants just like a natural ecosystem would. The best part is that you can purchase your own aquaponic fish tank kit, or build your own from scratch. We’re here to help you out no matter which route you’d like to go!
The absolute easiest way to get started in aquaponics is to buy an all-in-one aquaponics kit. These kids are marketed to beginners and children as they only hold a few gallons of water. If you’re looking for something a little larger, you’ll have to go the DIY approach which we get into further down this article.
Aquaponic fish tank kits can be a very fun learning experience, and even a gateway into a larger DIY setup. The best part about a complete kit is that they come with everything you need (except for the fish)
3 Best Aquaponics Fish Tank Kits
The market for these kits range from elementary school children to adults looking to grow some herbs for their kitchen. No matter what you’re looking for in a kit, it’s probably covered in our top 3 below.back to menu ↑
Best Aquaponics Fish Tank Kit for Kids
Back to the Roots Water Garden Betta Fish Aquaponic Ecosystem Science Kit for Kids with STEM Curriculum
- GROW YOUR OWN PLANTS: Watch plants grow before your eyes in just 10 days with this aquaponic fish tank aquatic ecosystem. Perfect for a science experiment at school to demonstrate a balanced ecosystem and the ins and outs of aquaponics.
- COMPLETE AQUATIC ECOSYSTEM KIT: This DIY aquaponic fish tank kit is fully equipped with everything you need to get started - radish and wheatgrass seeds, water conditioner, a growing medium for your seeds to take root, water dechlorinator, fish food, and even a fish coupon!
- AQUAPONIC STEM MATERIAL: Our aquaponic betta fish tank includes 11-pages of STEM curriculum with the history, science and amazing facts behind aquaponics. Learn about how the Aztecs and ancient Chinese used aquaponics farming, what nitrifying bacteria actually do, and the countless environmental benefits of using aquaponics.
- EDUCATIONAL GIFT: The aquatic ecosystem kit isn't just a fish tank, it's both a learning project and a way to grow fresh food right at home. This is definitely a science kit that is a perfect gift for all ages.
- GUARANTEED GROWTH: This kit is backed by our 100% Guaranteed to Grow Back To The Roots promise - if it doesn't grow as described, we'll replace it or provide a refund. Refill kits are also available for your convenience.
Back to the Roots makes the best aquaponic fish tank kit for beginners. This particular model is geared more towards children as a hands on learning exercise, but can be appreciated by anyone. This model does come with a PetSmart coupon for beta fish, however some buyers were sent an expired coupon. Beta fish come in a variety of colors and sizes and typically cost anywhere from $5-$20 by themselves.
What we love about the Back to Roots tank kit is how much children seem to genuinely enjoy it. This is a great compliment to school curriculum by offering learning materials to teach your children all about an aquaponic system.
What’s also nice is that Back to the Roots offers a “guaranteed to grow” promise. They will reimburse you, or send you a brand new kit if you can show them you aren’t seeing any growth. “No growth” is a common complaint on some of the other kits sold online with bad reviews. These guys made a much better kit and offer this guarantee on top of it.
Back to the Roots has a super cool backstory as well. It was founded by two college students who were so excited about what they learned in a college class, that they wanted to simplify it and share it with everyone! Back to the Roots has a giving heart and has thoughtfully created a campaign called #GrowOneGiveOne. Basically, if you post what you grow on social media with that hashtag, the company will donate an indoor garden kit + curriculum to an elementary school of your choosing (US only). What’s not to love?!
back to menu ↑
Best Large Aquaponics Fish Tank Kit
$148.55 in stock
3 used from $137.03
- The AquaSprouts Garden is a self-sustaining aquarium & aquaponics kit for the home, office or school
- Fish fertilize the plants. Plants clean the water for the fish. Fits any standard 10-gallon aquarium
- Grow a variety of veggies, herbs, greens and decorative plants all year long
- Perfect tool to explore how our natural environment works. Specialized teacher curricula available
- This updated model includes adjustable drain extenders to quiet water flow
This product began as a Kickstarter campaign and has since become one of the best aquaponics fish tank kits. Unlike the Back to Roots kit mentioned earlier, this kit does not include everything, despite costing much more. The AquaSprouts system does not come with the tank, it is meant to go on top of a standard 10-gallon fish tank.
The AquaSprouts Garden is more of a legitimate kit meant to grow aquaponic plants veggies, or herbs for personal use compared to the Back to Roots system which seems almost like a toy.
That black bar going over the top of the system is meant to hold a grow light. The grow light is not included but reviewers have suggested that you’ll probably want some type of additional lighting depending on where your tank will be. Smaller kits can be placed in a window sill, but this one definitely cannot. If you need a grow light, check out our post on the best LED grow lights.
This AquaSprouts system is an excellent choice if you have a bit more money to spend and are not ready for a complete DIY setup that may require more planning or space.
back to menu ↑
Best Aquaponics Fish Tank Kit Design
Joyfay Aquaponic Fish Tank- Betta Fish Tank, 3.2 Gallon, Hydroponic Cleaning Tank, Fish Feeds The Plants and The Plants Clean The Tank
$79.99 in stock
- AQUATIC GARDEN: Aquarium garden is a mini fish and vegetable symbiosis system composed of fish, plants and microbes. The fish dung produced by feeding fish is decomposed into nutrients that can be absorbed by plants by microbes, thus purifying water quality and nourishing plants.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL KINDS OF FISH: Tropical fish need additional heating device
- SIPHON OXYGEN SUPPLY: Through the automatic siphon design, the water level of the planting tank is tidal-like fluctuation, and the root of the plant can breathe quickly, and finally the fish is not changed, and the planting is not watered and fertilized. A natural oxygen supply cycle in 30 seconds, bringing a natural experience to the fish
- ENJOY YOUR FAMILY LIFE: Connect the family and nature through the Joyfay water garden, enjoy the natural pleasure of planting, make a green salad in the busy life, and enjoy the food dancing in the lips.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: The Joyfay Self Cleaning Fish Tank come with a one year guarantee; If you have any issues at all with your tank, simply reach out to our customer service team, and they will gladly help you with any issues that you may be having
We absolutely love the clean design of the Joyfay kit. However, ere’s where our list hits a slight drop off. Unless you’re blown away at the cool design, we recommend the first two kits above all else. This is still a good option if you’re digging the sleek look as much as us. Something about this kit though is that it is made in China and sold by multiple sellers on Amazon and other sites. The reviews were all over the place but this particular model sold by Joyfay seems to be the winner of their group.
We have a few suggestions if you go with the Joyfay model. Like with most aquaponic systems, adding a snail can help with waste buildup you may experience. Make sure to rinse your pebbles before adding them to the system because the dusty residue can cloud up the water if you don’t. Also, the instructions are not written in English, but using the images on their Amazon listing it’s pretty self explanatory.
Lots of folks have had great success growing all types of plants including mint, basil, and rosemary. Other reviewers were disappointed with the noise level of the pump. However the seller has told people to only open the filter about halfway and it should be smooth sailing after that.
Aquaponics is not a household term, but it should be. There is so much to learn through an aquaponics fish tank kit and you can’t go wrong with our 3 favorites on the list above. Not only are these kids great learning experiences for children or adults, but they can provide legitimate plants! You don’t need much space to house an aquaponic tank system that grows herbs for your kitchen. They may seem like expensive kits at first but saving money on herbs and other common plants and vegetables makes the purchase well worth it!